Homemade Apple Turnovers with a filling that tastes like Apple Pie in flaky puff pastry dough.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Calories: 435.17 kcal
- Servings: 8 people
Apple Turnover Ingredients:
- 1 lb puff pastry (2 sheets) thawed according to package instructions
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 1/4 lb Granny Smith apples (3 medium) peeled, cored and diced into 1/3″ thick pieces
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg+ 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat Oven to 400˚F. Remove puff pastry from the freezer and thaw according to instructions while making and cooling the apple filling.
- In a medium pot, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add diced apples and cook, stirring occasionally until softened (5 min).
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt. Continue to simmer 3 minutes until apples are soft and caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the first sheet of thawed pastry to an 11″ square. With a pizza cutter, cut into 4 equal-sized squares. Place cooled apple mixture over half of each square, leaving at least a 1/2″ border.
- Thoroughly Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water. Brush eggwash lightly on edges of the pastry (just enough to seal), bring the edges together and crimp tightly along the edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, keeping them at least 1″ apart. With a paring knife, cut 2-3 small slits in the top of each turnover.* Brush the tops with egg wash and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- While turnovers are still warm, stir together powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream (adding to your desired consistency) and drizzle glaze over turnovers.
Did you find post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest !