An easy Strawberry Scones Recipe for buttery, perfectly golden buttermilk scones studded with fresh strawberries and topped with a delicious lemon glaze!
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Cook Time 12 mins
- Chill Time 1 hr
- Total Time 1 hr 37 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 218 kcal
FOR THE SCONES:
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus a 1/4 cup or so for working with dough
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
FOR THE GLAZE (OPTIONAL):
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice (or milk, if desired)
- Whisk together the buttermilk and egg in a large measuring pitcher. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon sea salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until evenly combined. Add the butter to the stand mixer and continue to mix on medium until the cubes are broken up into pea-sized bits. If you don’t have a stand-mixer, see the notes below.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle in the contents of the measuring pitcher. Stop mixing as soon as the dough comes together. Add the strawberries, mix on low just until they are evenly distributed.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface. With floured hands, pat or gently roll out the dough into a round, about 1″ thick. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and have ready a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a sharp knife or a pastry cutter, cut the dough into 8 wedges and place about 2” apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the baked scones to a cooling rack, allow to cool completely.
- Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice (or milk) to a small mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. You may add up to 1 more tablespoon of liquid if needed.
- Drizzle the top of the scones with the glaze and set aside for about 1 hour to set up. Serve and enjoy!
Did you find post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest !